Costs and Facility Recharge
The mode of operation of the Imaging Facilities changed in October 2017 following a meeting of the IGMM executive board. Following the QQR in September 2017 the recommendation is hourly recharge be implemented from January 1st 2018.
Please be aware that the AIR consists of 4 facilities all with different recharge: Fees are for internal IGMM users. External rate is double.
IGMM Central Imaging:
- Confocals £30 per hour
- Epifluorescence, Brightfield and Mesocopes: £20 per hour
- There is a flat 8 hour fee for overnight experiments i.e. £160 for Epifluorescence or £240 for confocal.
ESRIC@IGMM facilities: - £40 per half day
Optical Projection Tomography:
- Consumables £15
- Hourly rate £30
- Sample prep and data reconstruction £75.00 (depending on user conditions)
BioImage Analysis: For IGMM Central and ESRIC users this is part of the access fee. For none AIR users this is £50 per hour.
Digital Pathology facility: £25 per hour
Grant costing and consultation: RCUK requires that use of facilities can be costed into grants Pre-submission. The AIR manager, Dr Ann Wheeler can advise PIs of anticipated imaging charges during the life of a grant.
Special cases: The AIR senior management will advise on special cases, these need to be raised with the finance team at the time of recharge.
The small print:
- The fees are determined annually based on market prices for goods and services the imaging facility needs to purchase outside of the IGMM. Annual inflation means that year on year the goods and services we buy become more expensive. Furthermore since we seek to improve the service, as well as maintain it as is, we require funds to invest in new imaging hardware and software.
- It is the users responsibility to check their samples prior to extended booking. If a session is block booked without the sample being checked the financial liability for this lies with the user and their group, not the facility.
For those who are doing live experiments where there is an issue mid experiment the recharge is at the discretion of the AIR manager. We have a reduced price for long bookings for live experiments. Bramley and Tissue culture microscope are free to use and are available for checking live and fixed experiments for fluorescence prior to booking. Tissue culture facilities have fluorescent microscopes which are also available for checking samples.